Lemon Yogurt Fennel Seed Loaf Cake

After a busy busy busy year I have a little time off work and I am travelling! I am in beautiful Melbourne and baking yummy treats for my sister! Ps - Check out her blog La Maison Jolie! She loves all things lemony so I have been a busy baker churning out citrusy treats! My brother in law is a chocolate fan so watch out for the brownies recipe! 

I have made fennel seed cake before (see previous post here) but this loaf is so lemony and light I could resist trying this out! So I tweaked this recipe from a lemon yogurt poppy seed loaf because I didn't have any poppy seeds. Fennel seeds add a lovely sweet and earthy flavour and texture (and don't get stuck to your teeth!). This cake is perfect with a cup of tea or as dessert with a dollop of whipped cream!
Ingredients
Loaf:
190 grams softened butter
190 grams caster sugar
190 grams plain flour
4 medium eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
zest of 2 large lemons
25 ml whole milk or buttermilk
100 grams plain yogurt

Syrup:
Juice of 2 large lemons
100 grams caster sugar
100 ml water

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 170 C.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until the butter is light and the sugar is mixed in. Add one egg at a time and beat on low. 
3. Once the eggs have been mixed in, fold in the zest. You can beat in the zest too but I find the zest just gets stuck to the beater. 
4. Add the flour and baking powder in batches to the wet mix. Then add the milk, yogurt and fennel seeds.

5. Now I used a silicone loaf mould and I LOVED it! The bake was even and the colour perfect (as you can tell from the pictures!). Obviously a normal loaf tin works just as well but you will need to butter and line the tin. You don't need to butter or line the silicone loaf mould.
6. Bake for around 55-60 minutes. Each oven is different so please test the cake at the 50 minute mark.
7. To make the syrup, just add the syrup ingredients and simmer over a low heat. Reduce it by about half. It should be a thin syrup or it won't soak into the loaf. 
8. Once baked, take the loaf out of the oven and pour syrup on top while its still hot. Make sure to pour the syrup evenly so that it soaks the full loaf. 
This super yum loaf is a brilliant summer treat (if you are in the Southern Hemisphere!) or a lovely autumnal treat with a hot cuppa while watching the leaves fall! I would love to hear your thoughts!

PS- All photo credits to Rani Engineer at La Maison Jolie

Comments